Thursday, April 7, 2016

Why am I starting this blog?

Sort of an existential question, but sometimes the universe sends you an undeniable sign.


Hancock Fabrics was set to close all of its stores nationwide, and as a result my local store was putting everything on FIRE SALE at 50%-80% off.

It.  was.  BONKERS.

So I innocently went in, thinking I'd pick up some costume patterns for next year's Halloween or maybe even Dragon*Con, to which we'd already bought tickets.  I was floored by the prices - patterns that normally cost $17 were on sale for $2.50.  I couldn't help myself and I bought six patterns of costumes I *might* consider making over the next couple of years.

Two days later, I'd taken a look at the patterns and plotted out what kind of fabric requirements they would each require.  Would I really be able to afford all that fabric?  Would the store even have any left?  So I went back to the store that evening with some "preferred" fabric types and the amounts needed.  I also had in the back of my mind this DIY Woven Wall Hanging project I'd seen online a few weeks ago and thought I might pick some yarn for it as well.

TWO HOURS LATER.


My haul

I now had a total of TWELVE patterns, five skeins of fancy yarn, and enough fabric to get me started on 4-5 costumes.  All in all it cost me about $150, which is definitely more than I walked in trying to spend, however I saved almost $300.  The most expensive fabric I bought was discounted to $4.50 a yard, which puts even my favorite bargain table finds to shame!

So my plan is to really make the most of this fortuitous event and actually, you know, learn to sew properly.  Since my first costume experiment, described in the next post, I have taken a sewing machine basics class that explained to me exactly why my needle kept bending or my thread kept getting tangled - hooray!  I have also been watching some excellent sewing tutorials online and planning out the notions, interfacing, and other supplies I will need before I actually get started.  My hope is to document my sewing (and other crafting) projects on this blog to keep me motivated!  

The goal for this year is modest:  complete one costume to wear at Dragon*Con this year that will not embarrass me.

Let the crafting begin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment