Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Crochet Cowl - Another Outlander Inspiration

While I'm waiting on the special sewing machine needle to come in the mail so I can finish my Outlander dress, I decided to occupy my time with some other crafts!

Outlander has apparently caused quite a stir in the crochet and knitting community because of its plethora of fabulous cowls, wraps, etc.  As such, there has been an explosion of copy-cat patterns emerging online.  Learning to properly crochet has been on my crafting to-do list ever since a few friends and I decided to pick it up together a few months ago.  I understand how to do the various stitches, but following patterns has been the bane of my existence.  I have been trying and failing at a shell pattern scarf over the past month, and so decided to take myself back to Crochet 101 and follow an Outlander pattern I found online.


This was the original cowl from the show.


I'm pretty sure it's knitting and not crochet, so perhaps that's why it came out so differently?  I think if I were to wear it as an Outlander costume I would wrap it around one more time to make it look as thick.


Close-up of the pattern detail. This was incredibly easy, fun, and fast.  It called for Lion Brand Thick & Quick yarn which is at least three times as thick as regular yarn and so it covers a lot more area at a time.  The pattern is basically a single crochet, but you only go through the back loop of the stitch, so when you flip it over for the next row it creates an alternating stripe. Very easy to do and visually satisfying! The whole thing only took me two hours.







No comments:

Post a Comment